Update October 19, 2012: Even though registration for this weekend's races is closed, you can still keep up with the latest from the organizers on Facebook and Twitter.
First report: Grand Strand runners, lace up your running shoes. The Myrtle Beach Health and Fitness Expo, Coastal 5K, Doggie, Dash, High Heel Race, and Mini Marathon will take place on October 19 to 21, 2012. All events benefit the Grand Strand Humane Society.
The events happen throughout the weekend.
- 2-day Health and Fitness Expo Oct. 19, 2-7 p.m. and Oct. 20, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
- Coastal 5k Oct. 20, 7:30 a.m. start time, Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
- 80-meter High Heel Run Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. start time, Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
- One-mile Doggie Dash Oct. 20, 8:45 a.m. start time, Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
- 13.1-mile Mini Marathon Oct. 21, 7 a.m. start time, Coastal Grand Mall
You can check out their site for all of the details and to register.
Organizers say over 4000 runners, along with family and friends for the events.. Last year’s Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon was a huge success, as participants came from 45 different states, helping to boost tourism numbers as the community eased into what is typically seen as a shoulder season. Over 10,000 people attended events throughout the weekend, and race founder and director Robert Pozo feels confident this year’s event will be even more successful.