The 5th annual Marsh Tacky Beach Races on Daufuskie Island is set for Friday, April 26, and Saturday, April 27.
The event is free, but round trip ferry tickets cost $50 ($30 for kids). 843-342-8687.
Here are details from an e-mailed release:
The 5th Annual Marsh Tacky Beach Races on Daufuskie Island will offer 1,000 anticipated participants an exciting weekend full of unique events that are designed to showcase the endangered Marsh Tacky horse plus Daufuskie Island’s many unique amenities, local businesses and organizations.The races developed originally in 2009 to raise funds and awareness for the breed and it’s current status, history, heritage, and importance to the Lowcountry. Abandoned by the Spanish in the 1500‘s and surviving on local barrier islands, the Tacky is prized for being extremely surefooted, hardy, versatile and smart. Designated the South Carolina State Heritage Horse in 2010 for its contributions to early state development, transportation, agricultural and wartime efforts, the growing number of less than 250 horses today are protected in part by the nonprofit Carolina Marsh Tacky Association. A portion of all event proceeds will be donated to CMTA.
Calendar of Events:
Friday, April 26, 2013
- 2:30-3:30pm - Daufuskie Island Elem. School field trip to meet horses 5:30-7:30pm - Fundraiser/Silent Auction to benefit CMTA at S. Lodge
Saturday, April 27, 2013
- 9:30-10:30am - Meet n greet the horses/breakfast buffet at S. Lodge 2:00pm - Beach races begin
- 2:45-3:15 - Tacky Hat Contest
- 4:00pm - Beach races end, winning announcements ceremony 5:00-9:00pm - Live band, food/bev. specials at Freeport Marina Sunday, April 28, 2013
- 8:00-9:00am - Crew/staff/volunteer “Thank you” breakfast at I. House
Demographics: Last year’s event on Hilton Head Island - 7,000 people Projected attendance on Daufuskie Island this year - 1,000 people
Tickets: Admission to watch the races is free. Ferry and land transportation shuttle tickets will be sold through Calibogue Cruises. Fundraiser/Silent Auction tickets, VIP tickets, vendor and sponsorship tents, merchandise, food and beverage will be available for purchase.